Join our national network!
GSK Science in the Summer™ is a free, summer education program that aims to inspire the next generation of scientists by providing opportunities for children to embody science careers, think scientifically, practice authentic science techniques, and have fun! The goal of the program is to increase children’s value of and confidence in doing science and pursuing STEM careers, especially for children from backgrounds currently underrepresented in STEM fields.
We are looking for informal science education organizations across the country to join our expanding national network!
Accepted applicants receive the following benefits, including but not limited to:
- Annual stipend to support program implementation and purchasing of program materials
- High-quality curriculum, activity guides, and training resources (review 2022 curriculum here)
- Professional development for participating staff through a series of training webinars
- Increased capacity to provide science programming to underserved audiences and connect with local community organizations
- Access to a national network of organizations dedicated to providing equitable STEM experiences in the community
- Ongoing technical support from the program team to deliver GSK Science in the Summer
SUMMARIZED PROGRAM EXPECTATIONS
- Identify two staff from your organization who will be responsible for coordination, reporting on deliverables, ongoing communications with the program team, and ensuring your organization is meeting all program expectations
- Coordinate all program logistics including materials management, recruitment of local community partners, and tracking attendance
- Deliver 3 to 5 hours of free programming to the agreed upon number of youth in grades 2-6, between June and September, 2023
- Number of youth will vary depending on program size (400, 600, or 800 youth)
- Programs should be delivered in-person, but virtual pivots are acceptable when necessary
- Programs must be delivered by trained educators, which may include educators from the applying organization or educators from community partners
WHO SHOULD APPLY
The Franklin Institute is accepting applications from informal science education organizations such as science museums, science centers, children’s museums, and universities that demonstrate:
- a strong commitment to serving underrepresented audiences
- a strong history of or interest in outreach programming and/or community partnerships
- a strong commitment and capacity to meet the program goals through summer 2023
HOW TO APPLY
Please review the below steps to submit your application to join the GSK Science in the Summer national network:
Step 2: Draft your application responses by downloading the Word application.
Step 3: Submit application through the "Apply Now" button by 2 PM PT | 5PM ET on Nov. 4, 2022. All applicants will be notified of decisions by Nov. 10, 2022.
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com for more information.
"Being a (participant) has opened my eyes to the incredibly deep engagement and reach the Franklin Institute has as informal STEM providers in their own community and nation-wide. Over the last several years of...training, the Franklin Institute has helped me personally grow in my confidence as a science educator." - 2020 national participant
"(This program) model is something every science center/museum would aspire to be like." - 2020 national participant
"All of the programming and training that I have done through The Franklin Institute have been very organized, well planned out, and implemented, and very educational." - 2020 national participant