GSK Science in the Summer™ is a free, informal science summer program for children entering grades 2-6!
Supported by GSK and offered in collaboration with The Franklin Institute, the program seeks to increase children’s value of and confidence in doing science and pursuing STEM careers, especially children from backgrounds currently underrepresented in STEM fields. The Franklin Institute will support your organization to fold the program into your existing structure and increase your educators' confidence and skills to lead high-quality STEM programming.
Join the Philadelphia-area network! Eligible organizations are invited to apply now to participate in GSK Science in the Summer™.
- High-quality curriculum and materials for all program activities, including printed activity guides, student lab notebooks, sticker sheets for all participating 2nd to 6th graders
- A stipend for replenishing materials, to support field trip transportation costs (if applicable), and other program-related expenses
- A field trip to The Franklin Institute, including free museum entry for students and adult chaperones
- Professional development and curriculum training for your staff via an in-person training at The Franklin Institute or virtual, asynchronous trainings
- Ongoing technical support from The Franklin Institute
WHO SHOULD APPLY
The Franklin Institute is accepting applications from Philadelphia-area organizations that meet the below requirements:
- are located in the city of Camden or following counties: Berks, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, or Philadelphia
- offer programming for youth entering grades 2 – 6 between the months of June 1 – August 31, 2023
- have educators or staff who are able/willing to be trained to deliver the five hours of curriculum
- are committed to bringing accessible programs to youth from backgrounds currently underrepresented in STEM fields
Examples of organizations that may apply include Community-Based Organizations (CBO), Out-of-School-Time providers (OST), After School Providers (ASP), Low cost or free summer camps, day cares/early childhood service providers, and public school summer programs.
HOW TO APPLY
Submissions are due via the online applications linked below and will be accepted until the program reaches capacity. Please review the steps below to submit your application to join GSK Science in the Summer™.
Step 1: Watch the Application Webinar to learn about the program and application process.
Step 2: Begin the application through the "Application for New Organizations" or “Application for Returning Organizations” buttons below. If you have a Google account, you will be able to save progress and return to the application at a later time.
Step 3: Submit the application. Organizations will be accepted on a rolling basis, until the program reaches capacity. All applicants will be notified of decisions by email. Please check your spam folder and add email@example.com to your “Friend” or “Safe Sender” list.
Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
“So after [Child’s Name] participated in this program, he improved his view about the sciences and then now...he has an interest in it, and also...this semester he improved a lot in science class and has more confidence at school.” - 2022 participant
“The GSK Science in the Summer™ team was very helpful and available for questions and support when needed. They provided clear and concise communication and materials for the execution of the curriculum and program. This is a great program and our youth love love love the activities. We are excited to see what is to come next summer!!” - 2022 participant
“The GSK program showed easy ways to introduce and incorporate science into everyday life. The students were easily engaged when asked questions, and learning from the GSK program that there are no wrong answers made me feel more confident letting kids go where the question takes them.” - 2022 participant